– A Marriage ceremony will have to be pre-booked and an Niikah form must be filled in and submitted at least 14 days prior to the solemnization day.
– Foreign passport holders will need to submit a copy of their visa validating they have the right to remain in the United Kingdom or a
>Civil Marriage Certificate issued by the local registry office.
– Essex Islamic Academy will not issue a marriage certificate to foreign nationals.
– Passport copies of both the bride & bridegroom must be submitted with the marriage form.
– Marriage (nikah) fee must be paid in full when submitting the marriage form. The current fee is £101.
Nikah (marriage) is a sacred social contract between the bride and groom and is strongly encouraged in Islam. It is declared to be one half of a Muslim’s faith. In another narration, the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has been reported to have said,
Do not delay in three things:
- The offering of the obligatory prayer.
- The offering of the funeral prayer when the deceased’s body is present.
- The marriage of a woman when her suitable match is found. There are a number of things to be taken into consideration before one can arrange a Nikah such as:
- Mutual consent from both the bride and groom for the Nikah (marriage)
- Two adult witnesses and representation from the bride who will be present at the Nikah.
- Mehr – The marriage-gift (Mehr) is a divine injunction. The giving of mehr to the bride by the groom is an essential part of the contract and may be paid in cash, property, or movable objects to the bride herself. The amount of mehr is not legally specified, however, moderation according to the existing social norm is recommended. The mehr may be paid immediately to the bride at the time of marriage, or deferred to a later date, or a combination of both. The deferred mehr however, falls due in case of death or divorce.
To download a form please select the link below.
Once completed, bring the form in person to the office between 5:00 pm and 6:15 pm weekdays or alternatively email a scan of the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
**Please note – Any email received for matters of Fiqh etc. will not be answered, this email is only for general inquiries.